With 22% adoption among medical providers, as reported in a Chilmark Research report, the iPad has become a key tool for U.S. doctors and medical professionals transitioning from paper charts and developing innovative practice models. Medical providers are increasingly looking to streamline the delivery of care and reduce costs in a rapidly changing medical sector.
Practice Fusion has noted a trend of providers in the company's EHR community offering traditional house calls and concierge care thanks to the flexible combination of an iPad and web-based EHR. Doctors are able to chart anytime, anywhere without being tethered to a locally-installed EHR or standalone computer.
"As a family nurse practitioner making house calls, I visit around 10 patients a day, so having Practice Fusion on my iPad is really critical to how I deliver care," says Scharmaine Lawson-Baker, a nurse practitioner in New Orleans. "Not only am I more efficient and accurate, but my patients have the added confidence of seeing their labs and charts with me in their homes, knowing I have their entire health record at my fingertips."
"Being able to have something small to carry room-to-room has been a huge help as well as the outstanding screen resolution," said Todd Falls, DPM, a podiatrist in Birmingham, referring to using Practice Fusion on an iPad. "The iPad has also allowed me more time with my patients – I see 35-40 a day – and to engage with them more."
- With a free Practice Fusion EHR account and a $29.95 LogMeIn Ignition for iPhone/iPad app, medical providers can use an iPad to chart anywhere they have cell or WiFi reception.
- Providers can securely use all features of the EHR from their iPad tablet, increasing their ability to communicate and collaborate with patients and other care providers in real-time.
- According to enterprise mobility vendor, Good Technology, healthcare is among the top three industries adopting the iPad for business use after financial services and high tech.
- Practice Fusion currently has 90,000 users serving 12 million patients.
- Both LogMeIn and Practice Fusion provide free support to users.
- Check out mobihealthnews' Infographic: Sizing Up the iPad for Healthcare.
"We're seeing a transformation in healthcare as savvy medical providers maximize new technology to improve the care they provide to patients," said Ryan Howard, Founder and CEO of Practice Fusion. "Our portable EHR solution on the iPad allows doctors to chart from the office, home or hospital. Patients win when medical providers have complete record access at all times."
The iPad has become a popular hardware choice in the medical community due to the device's price point compared to standalone computers and laptops, portability, and ease of use. Practice Fusion's flexible templating system designed to capture, store, and share important health information with just a few clicks.
Doctors and other medical providers with solo, small, medium, and housecall practices interested in the free EHR and iPad solution can sign up at practicefusion.com/mobile
. The EHR includes charting, scheduling, e-prescribing, referral letters and other clinical features tailored to the primary care medical practice.