The latest release of SAP Afaria, an enterprise mobility management (EMM) solution, will include deepening enterprise integration and distribution capabilities to manage and secure the large number of disparate users bringing their own devices into the workplace. Also, to address the growing use of enterprise mobile apps, the solution will include new app and self-service portal designs to provide a familiar, consumer-like app portal experience in the enterprise.
According to Forrester Research, Inc., more than two-thirds of North American and European information workers personally choose the smartphones and tablets they use for work. To address this trend, enterprises are developing bring your own device (BYOD) programs that require a highly scalable, mature EMM solution — either on-premise or in the cloud — to effectively manage and secure all the various mobile devices and apps entering the workplace.
According to IDC, SAP Afaria meets the EMM needs of enterprises and includes traditional mobile device management (MDM) as well as managing and securing the entire mobile device, app and data lifecycle across the enterprise. This release aims to remove complexity and support the growing mobile workforce by helping ensure that all data stored and transmitted via mobile device is protected and secure. It will allow customers to gain greater control and insight into a wide range of devices and apps, remotely back up and delete data if a device is lost or stolen and easily deliver fixes, upgrades and refreshes to mobile users.
"In our recent report on the mobile enterprise management (MEM) market, IDC recommends that enterprises evaluate mobile solutions that both manage and secure devices and mobile applications,” said Stacy Crook, program manager, Mobile Enterprise Research at IDC.
There are more than 197,000 SAP customers globally and many count on the customer and partner ecosystem around the solution for their mobile deployments. For example, "As the leading U.K. window covering provider for the country's 63 million residents, we strive to offer premier customer service, which is the key to our success,” said Julian Bond, head of Information, Communications and Technology, Hillarys Blinds Ltd.
"With 1,000 advisors spread across the UK, our ability to remotely manage their devices and connect them to our core processes at any time and from anywhere is key," he added. "Mobile apps built on the SAP Mobile Platform and SAP Afaria help us maintain our market position and more important, they allow us to keep our promise to the customer in terms of installing the right product on the day promised."
- Deeper directory integration is intended to provide connection to multiple disparate directories for authentication and assignments which aim to provide trusted policy set up and simplify user on-boarding for distributed systems. The distribution of data stored in directory values is planned for use with policy configuration to streamline the onboarding of BYOD devices.
- Enhanced email access control and device remediation aim to provide greater scalability and security for large organizations that have multiple enterprise access control components in a distributed landscape.
- Expanded PKI certificate management is planned to provide granular and secure control over the management and delivery of certificates.
IT Services for BYOD and Enterprise Devices
- App portal enhancements aim to simplify the user experience by providing a familiar landscape that can be branded to a company while increasing mobile worker efficiency by guiding and instructing users how to leverage the most beneficial mobile applications that apply to their role.
- New API and app policy features are planned for "zero-touch” setup so administrators can create and securely deploy apps without users needing to enter most app setup information, for example, server address, domain or, user name. This is planned to help significantly reduce help desk calls and create a more pleasant onboarding experience.
- Self-service portal updates are planned to simplify the interface used by mobile users to onboard and manage their devices as well as enable organizations to build their own custom interface.
- Broad Samsung SAFE support for Android devices with planned additional email and security capabilities.
- iOS enhancements are intended to provide increased jailbreak detection and support for regions of the world where jail-broken devices are prevalent; increased iOS configuration and application management capabilities are planned.