Corporate Vice President of Surface Computing, Panos Pany, unveiled and effused about the Surface Pro 3, but first put the device in context of where users and the market are today. Here is what he and CEO Satya Nadella said during the live event. Read on for all the specs, features, functionality and important accessories that are what complete the laptop replacement experience.
Surface Pro 3 Overview
Surface Pro 3 has the power, performance and mobility of a laptop in a lightweight, versatile form. It’s wrapped in magnesium and loaded with a 12-inch ClearType Full HD display, 4th-generation Intel Core processor and up to 8 GB of RAM in a sleek frame—0.36 inches thin and 1.76 pounds— with up to nine hours of Web-browsing battery life.
Features and benefits include:
• Laptop replacement. Go from tablet to laptop and back with the optional Surface Pro Type Cover and Docking Station for Surface Pro 3.
• Feel the power. The option of three different 4th-generation Intel Core processor models and packing up to 8 GB of RAM, provides enterprise-worthy performance.
• Write, draw and create. Includes the all-new Surface Pen that is pressure-sensitive and precise, for drawing and note-taking.
• Smile for the camera. Featuring two 1080p HD video cameras, 5MP rear- and front-facing cameras, capturing image stills or video chatting is easy and beautiful.
• Lots of programs. Compatible with virtually all popular and critical Windows software, including Microsoft Office. Apps from the Windows Store can be used side by side with Snap View, or it can be loaded with custom line-of-business apps.
• OS: Windows 8.1 Pro
• Exterior : Dimensions: 7.93 in x 11.5 in x 0.36 in; Weight: 1.76 lbs; Casing: Magnesium
• Color: Silver; Physical buttons: Volume, Power, Home
• Storage : 64 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB
• Display Screen: 12-inch ClearType Full HD display; Resolution: 2160 x 1440; Aspect Ratio: 3:2
• Touch: Multi-touch input
• Pen Input: Pen input and pen (included with purchase); Pen features 256 levels of pressure sensitivity
• CPU: 4th-generation Intel Core i5-4300U(1.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost up to 2.90 GHz) with Intel HD Graphics 4400; 4 GB or 8 GB of RAM — dual-channel LPDDR3; TPM 2.0 (Trusted Platform Module — for BitLocker encryption); 4th-generation Intel Core i3/i5/i7 Processor
• System memory: 4GB or 8GB memory options; TPM 2.0 chip for enterprise security
• Wireless: Wi-Fi 802.11ac/802.11 a/b/g/n; Bluetooth 4.0 low energy technology
• Battery: Up to nine hours of Web-browsing battery life
• Cameras & A/V 5MP and 1080p HD front- and rear-facing cameras
• Built-in front- and rear-facing microphones
• Stereo speakers with Dolby Audio-enhanced sound
• Ports: Full-size USB 3.0; microSD card reader; Headset jacK; Mini DisplayPort; Cover port; Charging port
• Sensors : Ambient light sensor; Accelerometer; Gyroscope; Magnetometer
• Power supply: 36W power supply (including 5W USB for accessory charging)
• Warranty: One-year limited hardware warranty
Surface Pro Type Cover
Featuring a double-fold hinge that magnetically locks to the lower bezel to keep the cover steady.
The cover is backlit, has a very thing mechanical QWERTY keyboard with a full row of Function keys (F1–F12), Windows shortcut keys, media controls and an improved touchpad. Comes in five colors—purple, red, blue, cyan and black.
Custom-crafted and cased in aluminum, Surface Pen looks and feels more like a fountain pen than a traditional stylus for a natural writing experience. It has 256 levels of pressure sensitivity and Palm Block technology, to write without errant doodles on the screen.
The erase button turns the pen tip into an eraser to edit notes without interruption. Click once to instantly open OneNote, even if the Surface is asleep, and notes are automatically saved. Double-click the top of Surface Pen to instantly capture and save a screenshot.
Click Surface Pro 3 into the dock to go from tablet to full desktop PC. With a gigabit Ethernet port for up to 1 Gbps wired network speeds, Mini DisplayPort for HD video of up to 3840x2600 resolution, and five USB ports—three USB 3.0 ports and two USB 2.0 ports—all tools are on hand to attach an HD monitor, wired network connection, audio system, external mouse and keyboard, printer, and more
Instantly connect to the network using the SuperSpeed Ethernet Adapter. Plug the Ethernet Adapter into the USB 3.0 port to get online, share files, and print with data transfer rates of up to 1Gbps.