SYBASE iANYWHERE NEW MOBILE SECURITY CAPABILITIES ADDRESS GROWING CONCERNS OVER MALWARE, HACKERS AND VIRUSES
First Mobile Device Management Vendor to offer Antivirus and Firewall Protection for Handhelds as Part of Comprehensive Mobility Suite
Dublin, CA --June 23, 2008-- Sybase iAnywhere today announced that it has expanded its mobile security portfolio to include handheld antivirus and firewall capabilities. Sybase Information Anywhere Suite's Afaria management and security solution will be enhanced with antivirus and firewall technology, addressing growing concern over an increase in malware, viruses, hackers and spam targeting handheld devices. These new security components, combined with Afaria's award-winning mobile device authentication and encryption technology, provide complete protection for Windows Mobile, Symbian and Blackberry mobile devices from viruses, data compromise, hackers and the effects of mobile device loss or theft.
"By now offering handheld antivirus and firewall protection as a part of our managed security portfolio, Sybase iAnywhere is responding to customer demand for broader security capabilities from a single, strategic mobility vendor," said Joe Owen, vice president of engineering, Sybase iAnywhere. "Customers benefit from being able to manage all security policies from a single console, and can be assured of interoperability among the security technologies on their workers' handheld devices."
"The tremendous growth in adoption of converged mobile devices (a.k.a. smart phones) occurring among business professionals will inevitably bring with it a rise in the number of attacks and in the sophistication of viruses and other malware specifically targeting these devices. IT organizations need to be proactive in protecting their information and systems from attack," said Sean Ryan, Research Analyst, Mobile Enterprise, IDC. "Enterprises should consider mobile antivirus and firewall protection, for all enterprise supported mobile operating systems, as part of a holistic mobility security offering that puts IT in central control of all mobile devices and information."
Sybase iAnywhere extends its lead in the mobile device management and security market with technology built specifically to address the unique battery, processor and screen size of handheld devices, rather than retrofitting desktop solutions.
Key Features Include:
Afaria Antivirus Manager
- Comprehensive antivirus protection with automatic signature file updates, assuring up-to-date protection
- Real-time virus detection on any file received
- Based on heuristic technology -- first behavior-based security solution targeting mobile devices. Afaria provides this added protection effectively without sacrificing device performance
Afaria Firewall Manager
- IP based firewall protection -- puts IT administrators in control with black list or white list filtering of inbound and outbound communications. This allows a company to "lock down" use of the device for authorized business communications only and/or protect the device from possible infection through typical web-surfing.
- SMS and call filtering -- allows administrators to minimize mobile spam by establishing a customized blacklist to block incoming SMS, MMS and/or calls from selected contacts and unknown users. An end user can even actively manage this from his device to block unwanted spam or phone calls.
The new Afaria
antivirus and firewall protection capabilities will be available by the end of June 2008. For more information, please visit: http://www.sybase.com/products/mobileenterprise/afaria or by calling 800-801-2069. An online seminar
will be offered on July 15 to describe the product in further detail.
About Sybase iAnywhere
iAnywhere, a subsidiary of Sybase, Inc. (NYSE:SY), enables success at the front lines of business. The company holds worldwide market leadership positions in mobile and embedded databases, mobile management and security, mobile email, mobile middleware and synchronization, and Bluetooth and infrared protocol technologies. Sybase iAnywhere plays an important role in the Sybase Unwired Enterprise strategy, which focuses on managing and mobilizing information from the data center to the point of action. Tens of millions of mobile devices and over 20,000 customers and partners rely on the company's "Always Available" technologies, including SQL Anywhere and its Information Anywhere Suite. Join us August 4-8 at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas for TechWave 2008
, Sybase's annual user conference.