Verizon Wireless is debuting the HP Mini 1151NR netbook, along with a new data pricing plan, on Sunday, May 17, 2009.
The netbook offers a compact, lightweight device with the added benefit of Verizon Wireless' Mobile Broadband network built right into the HP Mini 1151NR.
Customers traveling abroad can use Verizon Wireless' GlobalAccess service to stay connected, informed and entertained in more than 175 destinations; more than 45 of those destinations offer 3G speeds.
The HP Mini 1151NR will cost $199.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate and new two- year activation on a Mobile Broadband plan. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
Beginning May 17, Verizon is automatically increasing the data allowance fivefold for all Mobile Broadband customers on its lowest-priced monthly plan. In addition, the company will introduce new pricing for its Mobile Broadband Connect customers.
Verizon Wireless customers will be able to select from Mobile Broadband month-to-month, one- or two-year plans that include:
Verizon Wireless' Mobile Broadband DayPass is $15 for 24-hour access when any Mobile Broadband device is purchased at full retail price without a monthly service plan.
- $39.99 monthly access for 250 MB monthly allowance and 10 cents per megabyte overage (currently, the plan offers 50 MB for $39.99 monthly access and 25 cents per megabyte overage)
- $59.99 monthly access with a 5 GB monthly allowance and 5 cents per megabyte overage (currently, the plan offers 5 GB for $59.99 monthly access and 25 cents per megabyte overage)
Mobile Broadband Connect lets customers use their handsets as modems. Beginning May 17, 2009, Verizon Wireless customers can add Mobile Broadband Connect for $49.99 with any qualifying voice plan. Other Mobile Broadband options include:
Each option gives customers 5 GB of data usage, and the overage charge will change from 25 cents to 5 cents per MB over the allowance.
- $15 with a Nationwide Email Plan
- $30 with a $29.99 or greater data plan or feature
The HP Mini: Key Specifications
Verizon Wireless Connectivity Capabilities
- Mobile Broadband -- EV-DO Revision A (Rev. A) Embedded
- GlobalAccess -- Qualcomm Gobi chipset (quad-band GPRS/EDGE/GSM and tri-band HSPA/UMTS)
- 802.11b/g WLAN and Bluetooth
- Wired Ethernet RJ-45
- Display -- 10.1" Flush Glass (1024 x 576) diagonal LED BrightView Infinity display
- Weight -- 2.4 Pounds
- Dimensions -- 1" x 10.3" x 6.6"
- Power -- three-cell battery, 30W AC Adapter
- Processor -- Intel Atom N270
- Processor Speed -- 1.6 GHz
- System Memory -- 1 GB RAM
- Storage Hard Drive -- 80 GB hard disk drive
- Operating System -- Windows XP Home Edition; Service Pack 3
- USB Ports -- Two USB 2.0 ports
- Video -- VGA out (requires optional accessory); built-in Webcam 640 x 480, 30 fps
- Audio -- Stereo speakers, integrated microphone, combo headphone/microphone jack
- Removable memory -- combo SD/MMC card slot
- Limited Warranty -- one-year
Mobile Broadband -- Verizon Wireless' high-speed wireless network is enhanced with
EV-DO Rev. A technology for fast and efficient Web browsing and access to corporate Intranet and e-mail. Mobile Broadband is available across the U.S. so that customers can keep working when they are on-the-go. Select from one- or two-year Mobile Broadband plans that offer:
GlobalAccess -- The HP Mini 1151NR makes it easy for customers to stay connected when traveling abroad with GlobalAccess. The HP Mini 1151NR with the embedded Qualcomm Gobi chipset, works to provide streamlined global mobile broadband access on both CDMA and GSM wireless networks in more than 175 destinations worldwide. Customers will receive a SIM card when they sign up for a GlobalAccess plan. Monthly or pay per use GlobalAccess plans include:
- $39.99 monthly access for 250 MB monthly allowance and 10 cents per megabyte overage
- $59.99 monthly access with a 5 GB monthly allowance and 5 cents per megabyte overage
Capabilities (with appropriate Verizon Wireless service plans)
- GlobalAccess Monthly Plan starts at $129.99 monthly access, offering a 100 MB allowance in more than 30 select international destinations ($0.005/KB after allowance), as well as 5 GB allowance for the U.S. and Canada and $0.25/MB overage. All other destinations are charged pay-per-use rates.
- Global Access Pay Per Use is perfect for occasional use and must be purchased with a $59.99 Mobile Broadband service plan in the U.S. The Pay Per Use rate is $0.002/KB in Canada, $0.005/KB in Mexico, and $0.02/KB in more than 175 other destinations.
- E-mail -- view, edit, and create e-mail messages with attachments
- Web browse -- experience a full Web browsing experience
- Instant Messaging and Social Networking
- Videos and movies -- playback videos and movies downloaded via SD card or USB CD/DVD external drive
- Photos -- view and create albums or transfer via SD card
- Microsoft Works -- view, but not edit, Microsoft Word and Excel files
Key Pre-Installed Applications
More than 30 applications come pre-installed on the HP Mini 1151NR Netbook including:
The VZAccess Manager solution from Verizon Wireless gives customers easy connection management and automatic installation on Windows and Mac systems. The software also allows customers to view WiFi hotspots in their areas. Beginning this month, customers who reach specific usage allowance thresholds will be able to receive automatic alerts that pop up during their active sessions in VZAccess Manager.
- VZ Access Manager
- Internet Explorer 7
- Adobe Reader and Flash Player
- Microsoft Works (share and edit Works Word Processor and Spreadsheet files with Microsoft Office Word and Microsoft Office Excel and vice versa)
- Windows Media Player 11
- HP Wireless Assistant
- Symantec Norton Internet Security 2009 (including 60 days of complimentary live updates)
- AOL AIM
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving more than 86.6 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 86,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications and Vodafone.