recently unveiled Polycom RealPresence Mobile
, an enterprise HD video software solution for tablets. The solution is currently available on Apple iPad 2, Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, with more mobile devices to follow.
Polycom RealPresence Mobile, powered by the Polycom RealPresence Platform
, extends the company’s HD video collaboration technology from the office and conference room to tablet devices.
The solution allows mobile professionals to use a tablet to collaborate face-to-face with other colleagues joining via desktop and immersive video room systems, tablets, or laptops.
Key benefits of Polycom RealPresence Mobile, according to the company, include the following:
- Provides a high-quality video meeting experience with the familiarity of “in office” video conferencing.
- Enables users to choose the device of their choice, supporting multiple operating systems including Android, iOS, and other platforms in the future.
- Features an intuitive interface with system touch control for ease of use, including the ability to simultaneously view content shared from other participants and toggle back and forth between enlarging the content and other video participants on the tablet screen.
- Delivers high quality video and voice with unique Polycom benefits such as stereo echo cancelation, voice detection, and background noise suppression, along with Polycom’s Constant Clarity for voice and video Loss Packet Recovery (LPR).
- Supports firewall traversal and VPN (virtual private network) clients so users can join a conference from any Wi-Fi, 3G, or 4G network.
- Connects to the corporate directory, allowing users to place video calls with the touch of a name (available on iPad 2 today and soon on Android devices).
“RealPresence Mobile is a significant step toward achieving our vision to make it possible for millions of people to use video collaboration as their preferred method of communicating -- easily, reliably and securely -- no matter what network, carrier, protocol, application, or device they use,” Polycom president and CEO Andy Miller said in a statement. “I’ve met with a hundred customers the past few months, and nearly every executive I talk with is looking to embrace mobility and tablets to improve business productivity.”
In the coming months, the company says, Polycom RealPresence Mobile combined with the RealPresence Platform will enable service providers to offer video as a service from the cloud.
The RealPresence Mobile solution is available today. All elements of the Polycom RealPresence Platform are currently available through Polycom’s certified channel partners, and the RealPresence Mobile software application is available as a free download from the Apple App Store and Android Market.