Rate this Content (5 Being the Best)
Five Tips For Managing Mobility
By Susan Nunziata
Mobility management is a growing issue for enterprise IT departments. Whether the organization keeps its users standardized on a single platform or embraces multiple operating systems, dealing with an expanding universe of wireless devices and mobile applications raises a host of challenges for IT departments.
Chief among them are security concerns and the amount of time IT team members are being asked to devote to troubleshooting for enterprise users.
According to a December 2009 report from Aberdeen Group, the following capabilities are among the top priorities that IT execs say will improve their support of mobile users:
- Better control over security of information on mobile devices
- More control to optimize service quality
- Management tools to accommodate multiple device platforms
- More visibility into applications and data
- Formalized procedures for mobile support
- Less support of mobile users
In the course of reporting for several articles on this topic, we've spoken to enterprise IT executives representing a variety of verticals and company sizes, and gathered their top five tips for managing mobility:
- When considering a mobility management solution, look for one that provides you with a holistic view of your entire deployment.
- Look for solutions that enable IT to be proactive, rather than reactive, to mobile users' needs.
- Make sure you can manage all of your users' mobile apps and devices remotely to minimize costs associated with having devices returned from the field for troubleshooting or updating.
- Avoid locking into a mobility management vendor that itself is locked into a particular mobile technology or operating system -- agnostic is the name of the game.
- The sooner you accept the fact that more employees will want to use mobility at work, and develop a sustainable approach now as to how you'll accommodate them, the easier it will be to avoid organizational chaos.
Want more on this topic? Read on:
Current rating: 0 (0 ratings)